The World Ethnic Dance Institute
The School of Dance founded the World Ethnic Dance Institute to establish the identity of traditional Korean dance and promote world ethnic dance through
acting as a bridge to ethnic dance studies and exchange worldwide. The Institute continues to take the intangible cultural assets of East Asia and the world onto the Korean stage, while publicizing the outstanding traditional arts of Korea to the world. It also continues to strengthen the academic foundation for comparative studies on the ethnic dances of the world.
- Invitation Series of World Intangible Cultural Assets : The School of Dance has invited intangible cultural assets from other countries, including Japan, India, Philippines, China, Bangladesh, Cambodia and Mongolia, for 16 times from 1999 to 2013, through which it provides an understanding of the cultural emotions of each country, while also acting as the hub of international exchange.
- Historical Research and Restoration of Dance and Performances Worldwide : We let the world know of Korea’s cultural status by staging performances of traditional dances that have been restored and passed down, through which we find new forms of dance performance. This process of locating new dance practice enables the strengths and features of Korean dance and culture to be seen in performances overseas, thereby laying the groundwork for Korean cultural competitiveness.
- Restoring Sunjo Muja Year Yeongyeongdang Jinjakrye Ceremony
- Exchange of Traditional Culture between Korea and JapanKorea and Japan exchange traditional culture through a cross-cultural study with workshops and performances.
- Hosting the International Ethnic Dance Symposiums and Publishing an Academic Journal Since 2002, the School has published 17 volumes of the academic journal <Ethnic Dance>. Selected as a beneficiary for support of core research in the field of humanities and social sciences by the National Research Foundation of Korea in 2009, the School currently conducts research on collecting and building
a database of original East Asian materials to explore the foundations of traditional Korean dance.